It can be annoying when your AirPlay is not working on your Roku device as it should. Don’t worry, I will be walking you through how to fix Roku Airplay not working. The good news is that this issue is temporary and it’s either network or software-related.
Before AirPlay can work on your Roku, your devices need to be close to each other and also powered on. In case you are trying to AirPlay to your Apple TV, ensure it is active and not in sleep mode. You can’t enjoy AirPlay and Apple TV mirroring without an internet connection unless you use peer-to-peer AirPlay.
If AirPlay is not working on Roku, it’s possible your Roku device or Apple TV does not support AirPlay on Roku. This is common with older versions and models of Roku.
A simple troubleshoot you can try if you discover Roku Airplay not working issue is to restart your Roku TV or streaming devices, ensure Apple and Roku devices are connected to the same WiFi network, turn off the computer’s firewall, double-check that Airplay is enabled, use the Roku remote instead of the app, don’t use your phone as remote, update Roku OS, reset your network connection, restart your router, reset paired devices, and perform a factory reset.
In case none of the above troubleshooting tips solved your Roku Airplay not working issue, then ensure you scroll down to the end of this article for a lasting solution to your problem. Stay tuned!
Why Is AirPlay Not Working on Roku?
To share content from Apple devices, one of the most convenient methods is to Airplay to streaming players like Roku. Airplay allows users to screen mirror music, movies, and other media content from an Apple device to the Roku TV within a few seconds.
However, it can be frustrating when AirPlay won’t connect to Roku which hinders you from enjoying Apple AirPlay and Homekit on Roku.
AirPlay not working on Roku problems can be caused by several issues, most times related to your iOS device, your Roku device itself, or your internet connection. Although most AirPlay issues are internet-related or temporary issues simply fixed by a restart or a reset.
AirPlay was designed to be user-friendly and does not need any form of fiddling to get work efficiently, troubleshooting issues with AirPlay is similarly not complicated.
What Happens When AirPlay Is Not Working on Roku?
You need to know when Airplay and Homekit are not working on your Roku TV. If you encounter any of these problems while connecting to your Roku device, then your AirPlay is having issues:
- The Roku TV screen is black (i.e., nothing is showing on the screen even after playing a video).
- Only pictures can be seen but no sound.
- You can hear the sound, but the screen is stuck.
- AirPlay keeps disconnecting from Roku.
- When your AirPlay is not detecting the Roku player.
If you see any of the above, then it means Roku AirPlay not working.
Why Is AirPlay Not Working on Roku?
AirPlay can normally connect to any compatible Roku device. However, at times, the connection can fail due to several reasons, as listed below:
- Roku or Apple device is not updated.
- Your Apple and Roku devices are not connected to the same WiFi connection.
- Your internet connection speed is too slow.
- Your Roku device is not placed within the range of the Apple device.
- The AirPlay feature on the Roku device may have been disabled.
- Your Roku device is not AirPlay compatible.
Any of the above may cause Roku AirPlay not working.
How to Fix AirPlay Issues on Roku
AirPlay issues on Roku can be caused by several factors depending on the problem. These factors include; network problems, temporary malfunctions on Roku, and much more.
At times it may be difficult to figure out why something went wrong with AirPlay on Roku, there are simple fixes you can try out to see if they fix your issue:
- Restart your Roku: This process is quite simple, doing a restart can solve a wide variety of temporary issues. It’s usually the first thing to do to fix a simple malfunction. Ensure to wait a few seconds after it’s been turned off before turning it back on.
- Restart your router and modem: AirPlay relies majorly on Wi-Fi, therefore if you are having issues related to network connectivity, this might be the reason why your Roku AirPlay is not working. You need to restart your router and modem to fix temporary issues with your home network.
- Ensure both devices are Wi-Fi enabled: AirPlay is a Wi-Fi-based technology, therefore it is very important your network is up and running, both devices just have to be Wi-Fi enabled, and connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Set up Screen mirroring correctly: In case you are trying to mirror your screen via AirPlay on Roku, ensure screen mirroring is set up correctly. This process takes only a few steps, and if that was the problem, mirroring should start working immediately after set up.
- Follow Apple Support’s instructions: This is one of the suggested first steps for tackling AirPlay issues. Apple suggests that you ensure your AirPlay devices are placed within a close range of each other. Make sure both devices are updated to their most recent version and restart both devices.
- Ensure your Devices have the Latest Software: Not updating the software can introduce bugs that break specific features, but by keeping up-to-date you can be rest assured to have all the latest fixes out there, reducing the chances of future issues occurring.
- Reset your Roku: This can be likened to the last resort after trying all possible available fixes. Resetting your Roku can fix several problems in the actual Roku system’s software itself. Resetting your Roku is very straightforward, but you will have to start all over again and pick your settings.
- Contact Roku or Apple Support: Peradventure you are facing a unique problem with your device. If you have tried all possible solutions but none seems to be working, then you can contact a representative from either company. This will give you a definite answer to the problem if there’s something defective or if there’s another fix to your issue. Both Roku and Apple devices have excellent customer support teams readily available 24 hours via call or email. You can always discuss your AirPlay problem with them, and they will help find a solution to it.
I hope one of the fixes above solved Roku Airplay not working issues.
How to restart your Roku Device
This is one of the fastest approaches to fixing any AirPlay issue on Roku devices. At times, Roku streaming players encounter network issues or software issues, and in such cases, a quick Roku restart can fix this. Follow the steps below to restart your Roku device:
- Go to Settings.
- Select System >> Click Power >> Choose System Restart.
- Select Restart and wait till the device restarts.
This process requires a few minutes. Once it is completed, try connecting AirPlay to Roku, and this should work now.
How to Restart Router
Not restarting your internet router or modem could also cause internet issues that can inhibit AirPlay from connecting to Roku. In that case, you can restart your router or modem by following the steps below:
- Turn off the router and remove it from the power source.
- Wait for about 60 seconds to allow the device to cool down.
- Connect the modem back into the power source and turn it back on.
- Wait for a few minutes till the device authenticates to the internet service provider.
- Now, plug in the router (you can omit this step if you have a modem-router combination).
- Wait for the router to initialize.
- Once your router and modem are fully loaded, connect your Roku and Apple device to the internet.
- Connect AirPlay now and it should work perfectly.
You have successfully restarted your router. This should solve Roku Airplay not working issue.
How to Enable Screen Mirror Before AirPlay
To enable Screen mirror before AirPlay and use AirPlay on Roku, follow the steps below:
- Enable screen mirroring.
- Once you miss enabling the feature, it won’t connect to AirPlay and this can cause connection issues.
- To avoid such, you need to enable screencasting.
You have successfully enabled the screen mirror before AirPlay.
How to Update Apple and Roku Devices
Roku streaming devices are usually set to automatically update after every 24 hours. However, once they fail to update automatically, they may not connect to AirPlay properly. Apple devices also need to be updated daily to ensure smooth functionality.
Once you have completed updating the Roku and iOS devices, try connecting the AirPlay again, and this time it should work.
How to Place both Apple and Roku Devices on the same WiFi Network
Placing Apple and Roku devices on the same WiFi network is another method to solve AirPlay not working on Roku TV. Always ensure you check the WiFi connection.
Preferably, your AirPlay and Roku devices should be using the same network connection, and to verify that, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings >> Network >> About on your Roku.
- In case the device is using a different WiFi connection, change it to the WiFi network that your iPhone device is using.
- Now, you can connect AirPlay and use it for screen mirroring.
How do I get AirPlay to work on my Roku?
Follow the steps below to solve Roku Airplay not working issue:
- From the Roku home screen, go to Settings >> Apple AirPlay and HomeKit and tap AirPlay to come up.
- Your Roku device should be displayed whenever you click on the AirPlay icon on an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, as long as everything is on the same Wi-Fi network.
Now, you have successfully gotten AirPlay to work on Roku.
How do I get AirPlay to work?
To get Airplay to work using AirPlay on your PC, follow the steps below:
- Open iTunes and begin playing a video.
- Tap on the AirPlay button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose the device from which you want to watch.
- You may be prompted to input a code.
- Now, you should be watching your video on your TV.
You are good to go since you’ve gotten Airplay to work.
Roku Airplay not Working Black Screen
In case AirPlay is not working and just showing a black screen, hers’s what you can do, follow the steps below:
- Restart your router and modem (AirPlay relies solely on Wi-Fi, so if you are having network connectivity issues, this might be the reason why your Roku AirPlay not working).
- Restarting your router and modem is one of the fastest ways to fix temporary issues with your home network.
- Reset your Roku by long-pressing on the RESET button on the device
- Or, simply tap the Home button on the remote, then navigate to Settings >> System >> Advanced system settings >> Factory reset.
Resetting will help restore the software to its factory defaults, which could fix the black screen issue.
Airplay not working on Roku Express
To fix Airplay not working on Roku Express, follow the steps below:
- Try to turn off AirPay.
- Reset the paired devices (under Require code).
- Restart the Roku, and turn AirPlay back on.
That’s it! This should fix Airplay not working on Roku Express.
Roku Premiere Airplay not Working
To fix Roku Premiere Airplay not working, follow the steps below:
- Ensure screen mirroring is enabled on your Roku’s Settings Menu.
- Go to your Android device’s screen mirroring settings to turn it on.
- Now, restart your router and modem since AirPlay relies on Wi-Fi.
- Therefore, if you are having network connectivity issues, this might be the reason why your AirPlay isn’t working with your Roku.
Restarting your router and modem is one of the best ways to fix temporary issues with your home network.
Hisense Roku TV Airplay not Working
Generally, Hisense TV is one of the best budget TVs available in the market. It provides high-quality graphics and support for various graphics screen resolutions such as 4K, Full HD, and HD. It also offers quality photos, videos, and other visual content. Although its native screen casting function is only available for Android devices.
Follow the steps below to fix Hisense Roku TV Airplay not working:
- Ensure you restart your router and modem since AirPlay depends on a fast Wi-Fi network.
- In case you are having network connectivity issues, this might be the reason why your AirPlay is not working with your Roku.
- Restarting your router and modem is a good way to solve temporary issues related to the home network.
I hope this article has been helpful to help solve Roku Airplay not working problem? If yes, do state which troubleshooting step solved your issue in the comment section below. Thanks for reading thus far.