Roku is a leading digital streaming device that offers access to streaming media content from diverse online services. It is not a surprise that most of the errors encountered by the users are from poor internet speed or an error in connecting the device to the network as the case may be. As such, the Roku error code 018 is rooted in problems regarding internet connectivity in one way or the other.
Created by American company Roku inc, it is one of the most advanced and well-known media streaming devices around today. Roku is generally accessible in most countries of the world today except for a few countries.
Table of Contents
Why good Internet is important
Roku uses the internet to stream content and as such, it is not rocket science to figure out you will need an excellent internet connection to watch your favorite videos. As it uses the internet to stream content,
When your Roku device encounters a slow internet connection, it will display an error code message which is called the “Roku error code 018” and this error code is one of the most recurrent error codes that is faced by users while streaming content on Roku. You, therefore, need to remove the error code to have a chance at enjoying your favorite shows. It can be frustrating that is for sure but how then do you get rid of this problem?
The first thing you need to realize is that a Roku Error code 018 is primarily caused by poor or slow internet connectivity. However, there are some troubleshooting tips that are available to fix the problem.
Let us start with the basic steps in troubleshooting Roku error 018.
Check Network Connection To Fix the Roku Error
First and foremost, you need to check that your internet connectivity is working well and all digital devices like your smart TV as well as your Roku device are properly receiving signals. As stated earlier, lack of connection to the network is the major reason for a Roku error code 018 so you need to check if your devices are connected through the wireless network. To check your connectivity;
- On your Screen, Head to Settings
- Select Network
- Then select the About Option
- Proceed to click Check Connection
- Roku processes your connection status and you get to know if you are connected or not. if successful, you will see the below message
Do note that you can as well use an Ethernet cable to connect your devices with the router.
Common Roku Error Code Messages Caused By Poor Network
- Unable/Inability to connect Wireless Network: This error code message displays on your screen anytime you attempt to connect your Roku device to a network and it is not receiving any signal or is unable to establish a stable connection with the home network.
- Not Connected to the Internet: When you are streaming your video content and this error message comes up it can be frustrating. Enjoying a show and having this message pop up is annoying but no worries, it is because your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is not working. You might, therefore, have to check that out.
- Loading Please Wait: This happens when you are launching a channel and in the process, a network connection is lost. Therefore, your Roku Screen will display the error message “loading please wait”. It does not sound like an error message does it? Roku rarely loads that long so you need to check that internet connectivity out.
Steps in Resolving Roku Error Code 018
First and foremost, check that your device’s internet connection is working properly and your router is also receiving signals from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Execute a quick test to ensure your Internet connectivity is at its best and in proper working condition. To do this, it is advisable to open some popular websites like YouTube, Google, Yahoo, and the likes on a different device. If you are able to establish a connection to these websites, this implies that your router is in proper working condition.
After doing that, check the network the Roku device you are using is connected specifically to the name of the network. The purpose is to ensure your Roku device is connected with your home network and is receiving signals.
In addition, check your wi-fi router signals for its strength. Of course, make sure it is strong.
If you do not know how to check the strength, the following are steps to take:
- Press the Home button on your Roku remote control.
- Navigate to Setting, select Network.
- Click‘About’ on the list.
- About displays information regarding your signal strength.
Additional Tips you could use to Fix a Roku Error 018
- Check and confirm that the right details for logging into your home network are being used.
- Restart your system and check to see if slow or poor network error has been fixed.
- Attempt to establish a connection between your Roku device and your wireless network.
- Connect to your Ethernet cable so as to clear the 018 error.
Another tip is to reboot your router then establish a connection with the device.
Follow the above steps and your Roku error code 018 will be resolved and cleared so you can enjoy streaming your favorite content hassle-free. Was this information helpful? Kindly let us know in the comment section.