It could be frustrating if your PS4 control lasts a few hours after it has been fully charged. The controllers are expected to last between 4 hours and 8 hours but if the battery drains overnight, then, you need to seek a way to save the battery life. And one way to do that is to turn off the controllers whenever they are not in use. Therefore, here in this article, you will learn how to turn off PS4 controller to save its battery for the rainy day.
While there are numerous ways to turn off your PS4 controllers we will discuss the most prominent ones in this article. This article revolves around PS4 and PC users and how they can take control of their PlayStation controllers’ battery life.
Without wasting much time, the steps below described different ways that can be followed to turn off your PS4 controller.
Why you Need to Turn off the PS4 Controller
It’s only your phone that I’d advise not to turn off when not in use because of the functionalities. But other devices have no reason to stay awake when not in use, even your laptop. However, there are a series of reasons best known to individuals why a device with a battery should be turned off when not in use.
For this purpose, below are some of the reasons why you should turn off your PS4 console if you are not using it.
Recommended: How to Connect Oculus Quest 2 to PS4
- Increase the battery lifespan. If the battery lasts 8 hours in use; you should consider turning it off to keep it at that level if you are not using it.
- You can increase the battery lifespan by turning it off after use.
- It helps to keep the device’s battery healthy.
- It reduces the chance of changing the controller’s battery within a short time.
How to Turn Off PS4 Controller
The following are the possible ways/methods that can be used to turn off your PS4 controller to preserve its batteries.
- You can turn off the controller using the PS Buton
- It’s possible to turn off the PS4 controller with your PC
- Customize your PS4 controller to power off
- You can power off the PS4 controller when not in use with the PS4 console.
- Auto-switch off the PS4 controller using the console timer.
We will discuss how to utilize each of these methods to turn off your PS4 controller with this guide. All you need to do is to follow the steps we are going to share with you below.
Recommended: How to Change PS4 NAT Type
How to Turn off PS4 Controller using the PS Button
This is probably the fastest and easiest approach to take when you want to turn off your PS4 controller. You don’t have to approach your PlayStation console. All you have to do is to make use of the PS button on the controller itself. With that being said, the following steps will lead you through how to turn off PS4 controller using the controller PS button.
Note: The method below works if you are using a wireless PS controller.
- Press and hold the PS4 controller PS button.
- Hold it for about 10 seconds.
- Let go of the PS button once the PS console screen has turned off.
Your PS4 controller will be turned off instantly with this. However, some models of the DualShock four controllers require more time to turn off the device. So, if the device didn’t turn off after 10 seconds you may want to hold the PS button for more time.
How to Turn off PS4 Controller using PC
If your PS4 controller is connected to your PC to improve your gaming experience then you can count on this article to learn how you can turn off your PS4 controller from the PC your controller is connected to.
- Unplug the controller from your PC.
- Press and hold the PS button on the controller.
- Hold it for at least 10 to 15 seconds depending on the model of your controller.
- Release the PS button once the controller light is turned off.
The step above will help you turn off your PS4 controller using your PC after about 20 seconds.
How to Turn off your PS4 Controller using the PS4 Console
This is quick and easy. It doesn’t require external factors. So, to let to turn off your PS4 controller directly from the PS4 gaming console kindly follow the steps below.
- Go to your “PS4 Settings.”
- Choose “Power Save Settings.”
- Select “Set Time Until Controllers Turn Off.”
- Set the time you would love the PS4 controller to turn off.
When no one is using the controller for the preset time, the controller will be turned off automatically.
Use Timer to Switch Off The PS4 Controller without Console
You can also use your PlayStation to turn off your PS4 controller instead of using any of the discussed methods above. However, the purpose of using this method is to put your controller PS button at rest and still turn off your PS4 controller or when your PS controller isn’t working as expected.
- Press and hold the controller PS button for about 2 seconds.
- Go to the Quick Menu >> Sound/Device option.
- Choose the “Set Time Until Controllers Turn Off option.”
Set the timer to your desired time. Once the controller is left unused for that set time, the control will turn off itself.
Customize your PS4 Controller to Power Off
You can manually switch off your PS4 controller if none of the methods works for you. However, we will show you how to customize your PS4 controller to turn off your PS4 controller manually.
- Press the PS4 logo button on your PlayStation analog sticks.
- Scroll down to “Configure Computer” and press “X” on the controller to select the option.
- Select “Shut Off Option” to turn off the computer.
- Select “X” to turn off the PS4 controller.
Meanwhile, another method to turn off your PS4 controller is to turn off your PC. That is fast and quick at the same time. If none of the best methods appeals to you, you can use this method to turn off the Sony DualShock 4.
How to Turn Off PS4 Controller using Smartphone
If your PS4 controller is connected to your phone via your Bluetooth you can easily beckon on it to turn off the controller. Therefore, to achieve that, kindly follow the steps below.
- Swipe down your phone notification tray.
- Click on the “Bluetooth” icon to disconnect your controller from the device.
- Once disconnected press and hold the PS4 controller PS button for about 10 seconds or more depending on the version of your controller.
Once the PS4 controller’s light is turned off the controller will be turned off. However, you can also turn off the PS4 controller before considering turning of your Android Bluetooth.
How to Turn Off PS4 Controller Light
Even though PlayStation keep improving your console’s controller, the thought to include a function to turn off the PS4 controller’s light without turning off the controller hasn’t been added to the feature of the controller.
However, you can choose to reduce the brightness. To do this, kindly follow the steps below.
- Go to “Quick Menu.”
- Choose the “Adjust Sound and Devices option.“
- Choose “DUALSHOCK 4 Light Bar.”
- Select the “DIM” option to reduce the brightness.
The steps above will reduce the brightness of the controller’s light.