Huawei honor users no longer have permission to use the Nova launcher on Huawei honor and other Huawei phones (Chinese) with EMUI 9 (Android Pie) OS.
Huawei P30 Pro, P20, P30 lite, Honor, Y9, and other Huawei phone running the EMUI 9 launcher can no longer use all 3rd party launcher as part of the Chinese phone company to foster security on their brand.
However, a lot of Nova launcher fans have taken to different platforms to complain that they were unable to use the Nova launcher on Huawei Honor and other Huawei brand.
As a Huawei Y9 user with EMUI 8 preloaded on the device and prompted to upgrade to EMUI 9. After the upgrade, the Nova launcher stopped working on the device.
As a Nova launcher’s fan, I had to do what I did to be able to install a 3rd party launcher on the device. This trick works perfectly for all EMUI 8 (Android Oreo) smartphone to download and install 3rd party launchers on Huawei phone.
However, since Huawei Honor is preloaded with EMIU 9 (Android Pie) you can roll back to the previous version EMUI 8 (Android 8.0) to download and install third-party launchers on your Huawei honor.
Nova Launcher not working on Huawei Honor
You can no longer set a 3rd party launcher as your default launcher on Huawei software EMUI 9 (Android Pie) like it used to be.
If you are a fan of popular launchers like Nova Launcher, Action Launcher, Rootless Pixel Launcher, Niagara Launcher, you will no longer be able to directly set either of these launchers as your Huawei Honor default launcher.
The image above clearly told you that Huawei devices with EMUI 9 preloaded can no longer use a 3rd party launcher as a default launcher.
But, a walk around revealed that you can install Nova Launcher on Huawei Honor if you decided to roll back to EMUI 8 instead of the EMUI 9.
Downgrade EMUI 8 to EMUI 9
If you have got the Huawei Honor with EMUI 9 that won’t let you download other launchers you may want to downgrade to EMUI 8.
- Download and install the HiSuite on your computer. Or you can just connect your phone to your computer and you will be prompted to use HiSuite.
- On your phone, swipe down the notification tray and accept the HDB notification to enable it.
- Now, your phone will be automatically connected to your computer and it’ll show your phone information such as my device, home, HiSuite version, etc.
- Once your phone is connected click on the update button on HiSuite software.
- Now, click on restore and tap on the previous version rather than the new version.
- Select the EMUI 8 version and click on the OS to roll back the Android Oreo (EMUI 8) back to your phone.
If there is an older version available for your kind of Huawei phone you will be able to roll back to it rather than sticking to the EMUI 9 that won’t allow you to use 3rd party launchers.
Downgrade EMUI 9 to EMUI 8 via FunkyHuawei DNS
FunkyHuawei DNS is a 3rd party tool to downgrade from Android Pie to Android Oreo. To achieve this, kindly follow the procedures below to downgrade EMUI 9 to EMUI 8.
- Download and install HiSuite 188.8.131.521 on your computer. You can skip this if you have installed this tool.
- Login to your router’s admin using the router’s IP address. For instance, if your router’s IP is https://192.168.1.1 kindly log into your router.
- Navigate to the DNS configuration and tick the option to enable a manual configuration
- Type following IP address as your Primary and Alternate DNS: 184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11.
- Go to FunkyHuawei and sign up, and find the Huawei EMIU 8 software you want to downgrade to (EMUI 8).
- Open the HiSuite Huawei Software on your computer
- Now, connect your Huawei phone (Honor) to your computer using your working USB cable.
- Enable HDB when prompt so that the HiSuite will be able to identify your phone.
- Now, the firmware (EMUI 8) downgrade you selected above from FunkyHuawei will show up in the HiSuite
- Now, proceed to downgrade from EMUI 9 (Android Pie) to EMUI 8 (Android Oreo).
Install Nova Launcher on Huawei Honor
Now, we are done with half of the whole scenario. The next thing is to install your favorite launcher on your Honor phone (Chinese).
1. Open the Google play store app on your Honor and search for your choice of the launcher. you want to install. You can search for “Nova Launcher” and click on the search button.
2. Click on the install button to download and install the launcher Nova on your Huawei Honor phone.
3. Open the Settings app and go to Apps > Default apps > Launcher >> Nova Launcher
4. Close the warning message and tap on the change button to set the new launcher as your default launcher.
You can follow the procedures above to install 3rd party launchers on your Huawei Honor phone. It’s not limited to Nova alone. Other launchers will work fine.
Note: You can always upgrade EMUI 8 to EMUI 9 when any time you feel like you should upgrade to the Android Pie to enjoy maximum security, horizontal app information, and many more.