Instagram account visibility is very flexible as it allows users to set their Instagram account private or public…, place restrictions on Instagram photos and videos and decided who can see Instagram users upload.
While this feature to turn Instagram account private or make it public is not enabled by default, each user is allowed to make a decision whether they want their Instagram to be private or public.
However, while your Instagram account is set to private, only selected followers will be able to see your account information such as photos, videos, etc.
Whether you want to set your Instagram photo or videos or account private, or a combination of all, you will learn the basic approach to go about it in this guide.
How to Make Instagram Private on Mobile
It’s faster and easier to access your Instagram account on mobile. As a result of that, we’ll first consider how to make a change to your Instagram visibility and change it from the public to private on mobile using the Instagram app.
1. Launch the Instagram app on your phone (Android or iPhone)
2. Click on the head icon to open your Instagram profile
3. Click on the 3-horizontal lines to the upper right
4. Click on the settings gear icon to the bottom of the screen
5. Tap on privacy
6. Click on account privacy under connections
7. Toggle the button to turn your Instagram account to private
8. Make account private by clicking the OK button
As simple as that you can set your Instagram account to private on mobile using the Instagram app.
How to MAke Instagram Private on PC
It’s easier to change your Instagram account status from public to private on a PC because of the screen. The step is relative though but the screen convenience is better.
1. Log into your Instagram account on PC
2. Click on the profile icon to the upper right or go to https://www.instagram.com/xxxxx/ and replace “xxxxx” with your Instagram username
3. Click on the gear settings icon beside the edit profile option
3. Click on privacy and security from the popup
4. Click on private account under account privacy
Now, your Instagram account will be changed from public to private. However, once this is set, to gain new follower you’ll have to accept the friend request manually where you can choose to accept or reject the request if you don’t know the follower.
Now, your photos and videos will only be visible to people that have been following you before you turn your account to private. While your account is set to private, people that are not following you can send videos or photos to your DM and even DM you.