With a Roku device, you can mirror the playback on your iPhone to your TV. This is perfect if you want to watch your YouTube videos on a larger screen or listen to music through your surround speakers. Whatever the reason, here’s how to mirror your iPhone or stream it to your Roku media player.
Use your Roku to mirror your iPhone to your TV screen without buying an additional dongle or expensive Apple TV.
Your receiver for Roku and iPhone should join the same network. You may check the network settings with the Roku.
These instructions apply to all current iOS / iPadOS devices and all current Roku devices that support incoming wireless connections.
Table of Contents
What Does Screen Mirroring Mean?
Screen Mirroring is a wireless technology that allows you to display videos, music, photos, games, or websites on your iPhone on your TV. In other words, it’s like turning your TV into a mirror that wirelessly reflects what’s on your iPhone.
Still, Roku doesn’t support mirroring with any iOS device. However, you can stream content from your iPhone to your TV using apps like YouTube. You can also stream some media stored on your iPhone to your Roku device. It is like it is:
How to set up Mirroring on Roku
You need to make sure that mirroring is allowed or configured on your Roku receiver.
- On your Roku, navigate to Settings> System> Screen Mirroring.
- In screen mirroring mode, make sure that Questions or Always Allow is selected, which is indicated by a checkmark.
- Check the screen mirroring devices for a possibly locked device if your iPhone cannot connect – see the list in the Always blocked devices section.
- Download the Roku app from the App Store. Start the application after installation and accept the terms and services to continue the configuration. The Roku app then searches for a recipient.
- When you find a device, tap it to connect.
Stream the iPhone to Roku with Photo +
Stream content with Photos + app to your Roku:
- Tap Photos + to start copying.
- Depending on what you want to reflect, tap music, photos, videos, or screensavers.
- Tap the medium you want to play.
- Your TV will display Play on Roku before you play the selected medium.
Mirror iPhone with the screensaver on Roku
One of the mirroring features of the Roku app is a screen saver that allows you to add some of your photos to a slideshow for viewing on your TV.
- Touch Screen Saver on the media selection screen, then touch Screen Saver.
- Select the font you want to use for your screen saver photos from the drop-down menu.
- Tap each photo you want to add. A checkmark appears on the selected photos.
- When you’re done adding photos, tap Next.
- Tap the Style and Speed to customize how photos are displayed. Then tap Set screen saver.
- Press OK to configure the screensaver or Cancel to start over.
- Check that the screen saver is displayed correctly on your TV.
How to Mirror or cast your iPhone on Roku
To stream content from your iPhone to your Roku, go to Settings> System> Screen Mirroring and choose Questions or Always Allow. Then tap the broadcast icon in an app or download the Roku app and tap Devices> Media.
Go to your Roku device settings. You can find it by pressing the start button on your Roku remote and the left direction button. Then scroll down the list in the left sidebar.
Then choose System. You can do this by pressing the OK button on your remote control or the right directional button.
Then choose Screen Mirroring.
Then click Screen Mirroring Mode and choose Questions or Always Allow. Click the OK button on your remote control to select one of the selected options. You can use the checkmark next to it to determine which one you have chosen.
To stream media content from an app, click the stream button in the app. You can find this button on YouTube after tapping a video you’re watching.
Then select your Roku device from the pop-up list. If your Roku device is not listed, read our guide to setting up your Roku device here.
To stream media content stored on your iPhone, you need to download the Roku app and install it on your smartphone. You can find the iPhone app in the Apple App Store or for Android devices in the Google Play Store.
Note: Your iPhone and your Roku device must be on the same WiFi network. Otherwise, you cannot stream from your iPhone to your Roku device.
Then open the Roku app and tap Devices. It’s at the bottom of the screen.
Then tap Media. Make sure you select media for the right Roku device.
Finally, select the music, photos, or videos you want to stream.
If you want to use your iPhone as a Roku remote control, read our guide to using your Roku without a remote control.