What is the Smart Switch, how do you use the Smart Switch and is it possible to transfer files from Samsung to a computer or PC without using the Samsung Smart Switch app?
In this article, we will address all the questions revolving around the Smart Switch file transfer app and how to transfer files from Samsung phones to PCs or computers without using the Switch app from Samsung.
What is the Samsung Smart Switch?
The Samsung Smart Switch (SSS) is a free tool to transfer or back up a Samsung phone to a PC or computer using a data cable. You can also use the Smart Switch app to restore backup from your computer or PC to your Samsung phone. You can also use it to pre-download software updates on your Samsung device and complete the software installation on the Samsung phone itself.
Meanwhile, the Smart Switch app is a Samsung phone-based app that only works with Samsung devices. So, you cannot use the Samsung backup app to back up other Android phones to your computer or PC.
How Does Smart Switch Work
The Smart Switch works in a direct way that anybody can use it. There are no special settings needed to use the app. The app is a standalone app for Windows and macOS to back up Samsung phones.
So, to know how the Smart Switch app works you need to take note of the following.
- You first need to download and install the app on your computer or Mac depending on your OS.
- Launch the “Smart Switch” app on your computer or PC.
- Connect your “Samsung” phone to your computer using a “Data Cable.”
- Wait for the Samsung backup app to detect your phone.
- There you will see two options: “Backup” and “Restore” once your phone is connected to your PC.
Now, you will be able to use the Smart Switch app to back up your Samsung phone file to your backup or restore your Samsung backup from the system. The restoring process takes a couple of seconds.
What does Samsung Smart Switch not Transfer
Despite the versatility of the Samsung smart Switch, some files cannot be transferred using the app. It doesn’t matter whether you install the app on your Samsung phone or not. Some of the files that cannot be transferred using the Smart Switch include:
- Contact saved on your SIM card cannot be backed up or transferred.
- Your email content cannot be transferred.
- Your social media content is also restricted from transferring using Smart Switch.
- No live theme or wallpaper on your Samsung phone can be transferred using the Samsung transfer app.
Other Android users can also use the Smart Switch mobile (SSM) app to copy or move contents from one phone to another and from phone to computer and also, Samsung Smart Switch PC also lets users transfer files from a PC to a mobile phone.
How to Transfer Data from Samsung to Samsung without Smart Switch
Using the Smart Switch is probably the easiest way to transfer data from Samsung to Samsung phone but in a situation where you don’t want to use Smart Switch here is the way to go about it.
- Swipe down your “Samsung” phone’s “Notifications” tray.
- Tap the “Nearby Share” on both devices.
- You need to “Turn on” Nearby share on both Samsung phones.
- Enable “Device Visibility.”
- Choose “Everyone” on the two Samsung phones next to each other.
- Tap “Done.”
- Go to your “Samsung” phone where you want to transfer data and highlight the data to transfer.
- Tap on the “Share” button on the navigation.
- Select “Nearby Share” beneath the selection.
- Tap the name of your “Samsung Phone” when it appears on the device.
- Both devices will try to connect. Once the conn
- Tap the option to receive the income files.
That is how easy it is to transfer data from Samsung to Samsung without the Smart Switch.
Smart Mobile Compatible Phone
The Smart Mobile app from the Google Play Store is strictly for Samsung phones. However, other interested users such as other Android phones will have to go with the Smart mobile APK.
The list of compatible Samsung phones is mentioned below.
Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Active, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy S2, S2-HD, S3, S3-mini, S4, S4-mini, S4-Active, S4-Win, Premier, Note 1, Note 2, Note 3, Note 8.0, Note 10.1, Grand, Express, R style, Mega, Galaxy Tab3(7, 9, 10) Galaxy Tab2(10), Samsung A54, all the A SERIES and S SERIES.
Install Samsung Smart Switch on PC
Smart Switch has Windows and MacOS X software; requires a minimum of 32 bits for Windows and works on all Macs. However, to successfully install the Smart Switch mobile app on Windows or MacOS, here is what you need to do.
- Go to Samsung apps download source and search for “Smart Mobile” using the search box.
- On the Smart Switch download page, you can download for Samsung from the Play Store or for iPhone from Apple App Store and there is also a link for Mac and Windows.
- For Windows computers, the “Smart Switch.exe” will be downloaded and for Mac OS, the “Smart Switch.dmg“ installer will be downloaded.
- Navigate to your download folder and click on the Samsung Smart Switch installer for your Windows. The installer you downloaded from “step 3” above.
- To proceed you must accept the “terms and conditions” otherwise the installation process will be terminated.
- Tap on “Next” on the new rollout and wait until the smart switch mobile app is installed successfully.
- Click “Done” and you are done.
How to Connect Samsung Smart Switch to a Samsung Phone
If you have successfully installed Smart Mobile software on your Windows or Mac computer, the next should be how to sync your Samsung phone to your computer to be able to back up your Samsung Galaxy phone to your PC.
- Click on the “Samsung Smart Switch Software” icon on your Windows or Mac computer.
- You need to connect your Samsung Phone to your computer using a USB cable or make sure your phone and your computer are connected to the same WiFi.
See how to use Xender as a WiFi to transfer files from one device to another without data or Bluetooth. Only WiFi is required!
- Once your phone has been successfully connected to your computer as indicated by the “Smart Switch application“. Go to your Samsung phone and swipe down the notification tray to check the Smart Mobile app notification on your phone.
- Tap on other “USB Notification” and click on the “Transfer” file option to proceed to file selection.
- Now, a full connection should be established between your computer and your Samsung phone.
Backup with Samsung Smart Switch
We have done the hardest part which is to connect your computer and your Samsung device to initiate the backup process using the Smart Switch app.
- Find the “Samsung Smart Switch” software icon on your computer desktop and launch it.
- Tap on “Backup“
- Navigate to your phone swipe down the notification tray and tap to allow “Smart Switch” permission.
- Select the backup source on your phone. For MicroSD select memory card and for phone storage backup select phone.
- Select files you will want to back up from your Samsung to your PC and wait until the entire process is completed.
- Once the backup is done successfully tap on the finish button.
Thanks to Samsung Smart Switch you have successfully backup your Samsung phone to your computer. Should you want to restore your backup files, follow the procedures next!
Restore Backup with Samsung Smart Switch
It’s very easy to back up your Samsung phone to your computer using the Smart Switch application. However, the smart app also offers a means to restore backup files.
Here, we share how to restore a backup with the Samsung Smart Switch software on Windows and Mac computers.
- Connect your “Samsung” phone to your computer and launch the “Samsung Smart Switch Software” from your desktop icon.
- From the three options available, tap on the “Restore” option
- Access all available backup files and select the specific backup files to restore.
- Get hold of your phone and swipe the notification tray to grant permission coming from the “Smart Switch” software.
- Once the permission is granted the selected restore files will be restored and once done, a breakdown of the files restored will pop up.
- Tap “OK” to finish the restore.