Did your Schlage lock just suddenly stopped working even after replacing the batteries? If yes, then this article is for you. I know how frustrating it could be when you have your Schlage lock with a full battery and it still won’t work. Read on as this article will help you fix Schlage lock not working after battery change.
The Schlage smart lock is a technologically advanced innovation that offers security services across America from the beginning. In case your Schlage smart lock batteries are low, you might have to replace them to make sure the lock continues to function appropriately. An incorrect battery installation, wrong batteries, or malfunctions in your lock could be the reason why Schlage Lock not working after battery change.
However, in case the lock stops working even after replacing the batteries, then you might have to follow the fixes below to solve this issue. keep reading as this post will work you through how to fix the problem.
The functions of the Schlage smart lock include durable mechanical locks, advanced electronic access control systems, and biometrics. These functionalities help protects you and your household against critical moments, like when properties and lives are at risk.
Still having troubles with the Schlage lock, here are a few guidelines that can help you solve these common problems. Read on!
Read Also: Schlage Smart lock not Working
Schlage Smart Lock Battery Replacement
Here is how to replace the Schlage battery in case you have a low battery. The replacement process depends on various factors like the battery life is an important factor here. This is why we recommend the use of new batteries for your Schlage lock.
Common setbacks can sometimes be fixed by simply changing the batteries. Just before replacing your batteries, ensure to select the right ones. Schlage locks usually make use of Alkaline batteries. Although, some users make the common mistake of replacing the batteries with Lithium batteries, which will not work in these locks.
You can replace the batteries from any repair shop close to you, or you can simply do it all by yourself at home. Follow the steps below to replace the Schlage lock batteries
- With the aid of a screwdriver, remove the screws and the inside cover of the lock.
- Remove the old batteries and slightly clean the inside of the battery holder using any clean piece of cloth or tissue.
- Fix the new pair of batteries and install them carefully.
- Finally, take the screws and fasten the cover part of the battery compartment back again.
Now, you have successfully replaced Schlage battery without any hassle.
How to Fix Schlage Lock not Working after Battery Change
In case your Schlage lock won’t work even after a battery change, here’s how to go about it below:
The Batteries might be Wrongly Installed
Although this doesn’t usually occur, you might want to verify that the batteries in your lock are installed correctly even before trying other troubleshooting tips. Note that your Schlage lock won’t work if the batteries are not accurately installed, therefore place the batteries in properly.
Check out the next step in case the problem persists.
Ensure you are using the Right Batteries
All Schlage electronic/smart locks are charged by alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable), and this is what Schlage recommends.
- While lithium or other types of rechargeable batteries may work, you may however experience unsuitable operation, just like what you are probably experiencing. In case, you have replaced your Schlage lock batteries with lithium batteries and the like, you need to change them and get alkaline batteries to avoid poor operation.
- In addition, ensure you replace all batteries for the best performance. In other words, never mix old batteries with new ones, as that may cause your Schlage lock to stop working indefinitely.
- Ensure that you use the correct batteries. Most Schlage keypad locks make use of alkaline batteries (non-rechargeable). Lithium or rechargeable batteries are not recommended because they do not give optimum results.
- Depending on your Schlage lock model, you need to be sure you are using the appropriate batteries.
Read Also: How to Change my 4 Digit Schlage Code
Remove the Batteries
In case you have the correct battery type and the installation was successful, and your lock is still not working, try the following fixes below:
- Disconnect and remove the batteries from the Schlage lock.
- Press and release the outside Schlage button many times.
- Wait for about about 30 to 60 seconds, and place the battery back on to connect the battery connector cable.
Verify if the issue has been resolved. If not, continue to the next step.
Check the Battery Terminals
Another fix you can try is to check if the battery terminals in your lock are in good shape.
- Dead batteries usually leak acid and corrode the battery terminals, causing the lock not to work even after changing the old batteries.
- This happens if the former batteries had poor seals or died and remained in the lock for a long time before removing it.
- Check and clean any acid leakage/rust on the terminals to be sure the batteries touch the terminals properly and firmly.
- Use vinegar or lemon juice to remove corrosion from the terminals. Simply dip a Q-Tip into vinegar or lemon and rub it on the battery terminal surface carefully.
Try the next fix if this does not work for you.
Check That The Battery Connector Is Intact
In case you are sure that your Schlage lock has the right and perfect batteries but still not working, then you want to check if the battery connector is still intact properly. It is best to check out the battery connector because an improper connection can prevent the lock from working efficiently as a conductor.
- Also, ensure the battery connector is intact. You may have installed the batteries perfectly, but the lock won’t work if the battery connector is not connected. Check and put the battery connector in place.
- The battery connector breaks (or opens) once you accidentally damage it in a few cases. In case you’re in these shoes, you will need to replace them with a brand new one.
- At times, while replacing the battery, the battery connector may be disconnected in error, and your lock won’t work (electronically) without the battery connector properly connected.
- Finally, ensure that the battery connector is intact. If not, get it connected and try to operate your lock again to see if it works.
If checking if the battery connector is intact does not solve your issue, move to the next one below.
Do a Factory Reset
If none of the above fixes has worked for you, the next step is to troubleshoot the lock for unseen malfunctions. A quick way to go about this is to perform a factory reset on the Schlage lock not working after battery change.
This will automatically return the lock to its default factory settings, and it usually helps fix various issues.
Here’s how to reset a Schlage lock not working after battery change:
- Remove the battery cover to disconnect the batteries.
- Press and release the Schlage button.
- Reconnect the batteries within 10 seconds, long-press on the Schlage button till you see a green light flash thrice and the lock beep once indicating the process was successful.
Now your lock has been reset, and this should fix the issue you are facing. In case the problem persists after the reset, you can contact Schlage Customer Support for help.
Kindly note that the Schlage keypad locks have various methods of performing a factory reset. The above method works majorly for Schlage BE365, FE575, and FE595. However, if it doesn’t work for you, you can refer to your user manual.
Also, note that performing a factory reset on your Schlage lock not working after battery change will delete all custom programming. Make sure you have the default Programming Code nearby since you will need it to reprogram the lock.
If your Schlage lock doesn’t work even after the factory reset, then you may have to contact Schlage or get a locksmith to assist you further.
In case you still haven’t been able to fix Schlage lock not working after battery change, even after going through all of the troubleshooting methods listed above, then you may be dealing with a defective lock. Something might be wrong with the circuit, and you won’t be able to fix it yourself. However, just as the last attempt, you can reach out to customer support and explain the issue with the Schlage lock. They will help you detect the exact cause, and there is a possibility that you might have to buy a new lock.
In case you have a valid warranty, you can reach out to the dealer and forward a warranty claim. Then, you won’t have to spend money on a new unit, and the dealer will solve this problem for you. I hope this information will give you a better perspective on the issue.
In case your Schlage lock was working properly but suddenly stopped after changing batteries, then it’s safe to relate the problem to the battery replacement. Maybe you got inferior unsuitable batteries.
Therefore, while trying to fix Schlage lock not working after battery change problem with the above tips, ensure you get premium unused alkaline batteries. You may also want to verify that the batteries are active before using them on your Schlage lock.