If you are using the Grammarly plugin in your Chrome browser you’d probably see that the new WordPress Gutenberg isn’t wotking with the Grammarly plugin for browsers. Even when you switch to Classic WordPress edition you’ll also discover that the classic editor and Grammarly are not in good term. However, before the Grammarly not working in WordPress becomes what is affecting most bloggers that are on WordPress and are currently switching permanently to the Classic editor using the WordPress classic plugin the Grammarly plugin was working perfectly with the WordPresse editor.
With this, we can conclude that the new WordPress interface is what is not working with the Grammarly or the Grammarly isn’t working with WordPress Gutenberg.
However, before this is solved from the next Grammarly update or WordPress next release, here is a quick fix to the problem combating WordPress and Grammarly words spelling checker.
Table of Contents
Grammarly not Working in WordPress Gutenberg
Here, I’ll explain differnt approaches to fix Grammarly plugin not working in Gutenberg WordPress edition. These suggestions are based on my own discretion and over time, when both platforms start to work together you can switch back to either WordPress Gutenberg or Grammarly plugin.
Use Grammarly Words Editor
Just like the WordPress platform, the Grammarly also has a word editor page where you can check for your words correct spellings and grammar corrections.
There are three ways to use the Grammarly words editor for your spelling checking and grammar corrections.
Type the words
Yes, you can just turn to the Grammarly editor and begin to type your blog post words into the word editor column before you transfer it back to your WordPress.
However, the down side of this feature is that you will not be able to format your post. This implies that you’d have to manually add the headlines to your post in your WordPress editor.
Copy and Paste
You can copy and paste your blog post into the Grammarly words editor for spelling correction and grammar checking. The different between the copy and paste feature discussed above is that if you have formatted your post while writing in the WordPress editor, the formatting will be gone and you’d have to reformat again.
Aside this, you can use this as an avenue to use Grammarly to correct your WordPress blog post if the plugin isn’t active in your WordPress site.
This option allows you to upload your word document directly to Grammarly for correction and suggestion. Instead of using the Grammarly word editor or copy and paste your blog post you can simply upload your content directly to the platform correction.
How to Access Grammarly Word Editor
I’d advise you to log into your Grammarly account to use this feature as it counts and will also give the record of your WordPress improvement and how far you have gone in writing good and simple English language.
Open your browser and go to Grammarly word editor page. On the page, you’d see hide assitance, overall score, goals (you can adjust this) correctness, and clarity.
Install Grammarly Plugin for Word Document
If the approaches above are time consuming and you would prefer a direct solution without having to reformat your post here is what you should do.
As at this time, the Grammarly not working in WordPress has not been extended to the Microsoft Word. So, if you have the Microsoft word document installed on your PC or Mac, you can install the Grammarly plugin on Word document and turn to blog post option in the Word document to write your blog articles after which you only need to copy the article and paste it into your WordPress editor for final format.
1. First you need to create a Grammarly account if you don’t have one already. Take note of your password and username.
2. Log into your Grammarly account and go to the “Grammarly Add-in” section to download Grammarly for Word“
3. Install the Grammarly executable file by double clicking on the installer and then click on the run icon.
4. Next, you will be taken to the welcome page where you need to click on the get started icon.
5. The Grammarly for word will start installing in a matter of seconds. You can see the installation progress in the image below.
6. Once the Grammarly plugin for Word document is successfully installed you will be asked to log into your Grammarly account or skip. When you clicked on log in you will be taken to your Microsoft Word Grammarly login page and when you click on skip the plugin will close down when you click on the finish button.
Now that you have successfully installed the Grammarly for Word plugin you will be able to use the Grammarly in your Word document for corrections and spelling checking.
Henceforth, whenever you want to write your blog post in word document and transfer it to your WordPress blog In Word 2010, Word 2013, and Word 2016, just launch the Word document, select File > New > Blog post.
Install Classic Editor Plugin
With the Classic Editor plugin you can turn your WordPress editor from Gutenberg to Classic if the Grammarly plugin isn’t active in the main WordPress Classic editor.
- Log into your WordPress blog
- Go to plugins >> add new
- Search for “Classic Editor“
- Install the plugin and activate it
- Go back to “Plugins >> installed plugins >> Classic Editor”
- Click on the settings
- Go to “Default editor for all users“ and select “Class Editor” and also set the “Allow users to switch editors” to “No”.
With the Classic plugin the WordPress Gutenberg will be changed to WordPress classic which is fully active with Grammarly plugin unlike the Gutenberg.