Has your Roku youtube channel been giving you issues, and you have been thinking about how to resolve Roku youtube not working? Then read through this article to learn about the possible reasons for Roku youtube not working and how to resolve it.
The Roku device is currently one of the popular streaming devices available on the market and is loved by many users.
It is a streaming device that allows its users access to many streaming apps and channels such as youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and HBO max.
It is also affordable and makes it easy to enjoy your various entertainment channel on your TV screen for your enjoyment.
Youtube is one of the offerings available on Roku, and many users typically prefer to stream their favorite Youtube channels using their Roku device.
However, there have been times that users have been frustrated by Roku youtube not working, so you are not alone.
Various reasons might be the cause of Roku youtube not working, and the remaining sections of this article will explain why and how to fix it.
You can also check out How to Fix Roku Remote Volume Not Working
Why is Roku Youtube not Working?
There are various other reasons that might be the cause of Roku youtube not working, and some of them are listed below.
- The most common reason for Roku youtube not working is a bad internet connection because you need to stream from youtube to your device, slow or unavailable internet connection might prevent Roku youtube from working.
- If your Youtube account is temporarily restricted or blocked, then you will not be able to access the youtube channel on your Roku device.
- On rare occasions where the youtube server is down, there would be a worldwide outage, and you will be unable to access the youtube channel on your Roku device.
- Sometimes there might be a glitch with the Roku device, and when this occurs, the youtube channel, including other channels available on the device, will be inaccessible until the glitch is resolved.
Read the article section below to learn about the different methods you can employ to resolve Roku youtube not working.
How to Resolve Roku Youtube not Working
There are different troubleshooting solutions to fix Roku youtube not working, and this section will list the solutions and how to employ them.
Fix Internet Connection
A good and steady internet connection is required if you want to stream youtube videos on the Roku device.
You can use your mobile phone or any other device around you that requires an internet connection to confirm if the internet is working on them.
If it is not, then the issue might be with your router, and you can quickly fix this by restarting your router.
Once your router has been reset, check to see if it functions properly on other devices, and when it does, try streaming YouTube on your Roku device to confirm that Youtube is now working perfectly on it.
Confirm the State of the Youtube Server
While it is very rare for the youtube server to be down, it can still happen, and when it does, the youtube channel will not be accessible on your Roku device.
You can confirm this by trying to access youtube via other devices, and if it is inaccessible on those devices as well, then you would have to wait until the Youtube server comes back as nothing can be done to fix it from your end.
Restart the Roku Device
There are times when a minor bug on the Roku device might be the cause of Roku youtube not working.
If that is the case, you can mostly fix the bug by restarting the Roku device, and to restart the device, all you have to do is press the restart option on the Roku menu screen for the device to restart itself automatically.
Once you have restarted the device, you can try streaming on youtube to confirm if this solution resolved the issue of Roku youtube not working.
Update the Youtube Channel
Your Roku device’s youtube channel might be out of date and can be why the Roku YouTube is not working. Follow the steps listed below to update the youtube channel.
- Navigate to your Roku device’s home menu and select the youtube channel.
- Then press the asterisk(*) button and select check for update from the options on your screen.
- Then, if an update is available, wait for Roku to install the updates automatically.
After updating the youtube channel, you can try streaming from youtube to confirm that you have fixed the Roku youtube not working issue.
Uninstall and Reinstall the Youtube Channel
Roku youtube not working can sometimes be fixed by simply uninstalling and reinstalling the youtube channel on the Roku device.
The steps listed below will guide you on uninstalling the youtube channel from your Roku device.
- Open the menu screen by clicking on the home button on your Roku remote.
- Now select streaming channels to see the list of currently available channels on your screen.
- Then select the youtube channel, and click on remove channel to uninstall the youtube channel from your Roku device.
Once you have uninstalled the youtube channel, you can reinstall it by following the instructions below.
- Press the home button on your Roku remote to open the home menu.
- Then click on the search option on the menu list and input Youtube TV in the search bar.
- Then select add channel and click on Ok.
- Then once the channel has been added to your Roku device, you should select the go to channel option.
- Now sign in or sign up to your Youtube account.
After you have reinstalled the Youtube channel to your Roku device, attempt streaming from Youtube to confirm that you have fixed the Roku youtube not working issue.
Update the Roku Device Firmware
Your Roku device’s firmware may be outdated and needs to be updated, which can be why you are encountering issues like Roku youtube not working.
You can update the Roku device firmware by following the steps listed below.
- Access the home menu screen by clicking on the home button on your Roku remote.
- Now select settings from the menu and click on the system from the settings menu.
- Then select system update and click check.
If new firmware is available for your device, the Roku device will automatically update itself.
Factory Reset the Roku Device
As a final resort, after trying all of the other solutions mentioned above and youtube is still not working on your Roku device, you can factory reset your Roku device.
Reset your Roku device using the reset button by following the instructions below.
- Switch on your Roku device.
- Now press the reset button for about 10 seconds to reset the device.
The indicator or status light will blink rapidly, signifying that the factory reset was successful, and you can now set up your device to stream on youtube.
Manually reset the Roku device from the settings menu by following the steps listed below.
- Access the home screen menu by pressing the home button on the Roku remote.
- Then click on settings and select system.
- Now click on advanced settings and select factory reset.
- Then follow the prompts on your screen to complete the reset process.
Once you are done factory resetting your Roku device, you can proceed to setting up the device and streaming your favorite videos from Youtube.
How do I Reset Youtube on Roku?
You can reset youtube on Roku by uninstalling and reinstalling the Youtube channel on your Roku device.
Follow the steps below to uninstall the Youtube channel from Roku.
- On your Roku remote, press the home button to access the menu screen.
- Select streaming channels to display the list of channels that are currently available.
- Then navigate to the YouTube channel and select remove channel to uninstall.
Then you can reinstall the Youtube channel to your Roku device by following the instructions below.
- To access the home menu, press the home button on your Roku remote.
- Next, select Search from the menu and type YouTube TV into the search box.
- Then click Ok after selecting Add Channel.
- You should then select the go to channel option after adding the channel to your Roku device.
- Now log in or create an account on YouTube.
This article has explained the different troubleshooting methods you can use to resolve Roku youtube not working.
However, if you have tried all these methods with no success, you should reach out to either the Roku technical support team or the Youtube customer support team.