Sometimes you might be wondering “why your AirPods suddenly seem quiet. Certain issues might affect the volume in the right ear, left ear, or even both AirPods, even if the volume is up.
There is no notification that will tell you that your AirPods volume is low. The only notification that you mostly get is when your AirPods battery is low. So, when the volume is too low you need to check and adjust it. And in a situation where your AirPods tell you that the battery is low, it could affect the volume too.
However in the “Why are my Airpods so quiet” issue is something irritating and needs an urgent fix, we would show you different ways to solve this issue whether it is from a buildup on the speakers or a setting on your apple devices such as an iPhone or iPad.
Why are my AirPods so Quiet?
If you are confused as to why are my AirPods so quiet these troubleshooting tips will help. Even though it’s hard to decipher the main causes when AirPods volume remains quiet. But, with these tips, you should be able to resolve the issue with your AirPods and get it working perfectly again.
AirPods Volume too Low
If your AirPods volume is too low either of the AirPods might be quiet. So, you need to check the volume if it’s too low or not.
Firstly you will need to check the volume of your Airpod, as the volume might have been turned down. You can check the volume with Siri’s voice or simply by pressing the volume button on your Apple device (Mac, iPhone, or iPad)
Make sure your Airpods are fully charged, if your Airpod is low on battery power, as the volume may suddenly decrease. Giving your Airpod a full charge might help improve the issue.
You can simply check the volume by placing your airpod inside the charging case and opening its lid near your iPhone or iPad. If you are using an Apple Mac product, simply click on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar, then hold the mouse cursor over the AirPods on the menu to check the battery level.
Clean your AirPods Waxy Buildup
Clean out the waxy buildup on your apple AirPods, as this can seriously lower the volume of your Airpod. Apple recommends cleaning the delicate speaker mesh inside of your AirPods with a dry cotton swab, as liquids can easily damage your AirPods.
One of your AirPod might seems to be quieter than the other, as the audio balance may be off-centre. Try to adjust the audio balance settings which can be assessed from your iPhone or iPad accessible options.
Recommended: How to Increase Samsung TV Volume without Remote
However, if there is no sound on one side of the AirPod
- Make sure that your charging case is fully charged.
- Place both AirPods in your charging case and let them charge for 30 seconds.
- Open the charging case near your iPhone or iPad.
- AirPods and charging case
- Check the charge status on your iPhone or iPad to make sure that each AirPod is charging.
- AirPods charging status on your iPhone screen
- Put both AirPods in your ears.
- Play audio to test both AirPods.
- If an AirPod still isn’t working, reset your AirPods.
- If there’s a low volume in one AirPod
- If your left or right AirPod isn’t playing any sound, or if the volume is too quiet, follow these steps:
Also, you need to check the microphone and speaker mesh on each AirPod.
To check the microphone and speaker on your AirPod
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Balance, then make sure that the balance is set in the middle.
AirPods Battery is Low
If you are using an iPhone or iPad in Low Power Mode to conserve battery power, your AirPods volume might be lower than the usual volume. Try to disable low power settings mode on your apple product (iPhone or iPad).
It still happens even if your Apple AirPods are fully charged, lets me take you through the basic steps on how to turn off lower power mode.
- Open the Control Center by sliding down from the top corner of your device’s home screen (if your iPhone has Face ID) or swiping up from the bottom of the Home screen of your device (if your iPhone has Touch ID).
- If the battery icon is yellow on a white background, simply tap on it to turn it off.
If you don’t see a battery icon,
- Go to Settings > Battery and disable Low Power Mode there.
Ask Siri to Adjust the Volume
If your AirPods are quiet then you might want to play with the Siri. Although, the reason why are my AirPods so quiet isn’t because of the Siri settings but because the volume is too low.
So, what I did is quite simple. I charge the battery until it gives 100% and the volume issue was fixed. On the contrary, for Sirir, you need to adjust the volume.
You can ask Siri to adjust the volume for your AirPods when you want. This can sometimes help to push the volume of your airpod up a little bit.
Recalibrate your Airpod
There is no doubt that one of the reasons why are my AirPods so quiet is calibration failure. Each time you disconnect your AirPods from your device you might need to recalibrate again.
- You can Recalibrate the Bluetooth volume.
With your AirPods paired to any of your devices, start playing some music.
- Turn the volume all the way down to 0 with the music still playing.
Open your Bluetooth settings and disconnect your AirPods. Make sure you do not “forget” them, you just have to disconnect them by turning off Bluetooth for a moment.
- Keep your AirPods in your ears.
- Continue playing music on your device, but keep the volume at 0. If the volume increased when you disconnected the AirPods, reduce the volume all the way back to 0 again.
- Then reconnect your AirPods to Bluetooth and then turn the volume back up.
Your AirPods are Damaged
Your Airpod might have been damaged by water, heat, dust, etc and it may need to be replaced. Just think through if your AirPods have ever dropped in water or you were under the rain with your AirPods. Also, if your AirPods aren’t waterproof and you took a shower with them, it can cause the wireless AirPods to stop working or start giving some sounds that you can’t recognize.
How to Clean Airpods
Above all, you want to clean your AirPods constantly. Like we started with “why are my AirPods so quiet,” cleaning your AirPods at a reasonable interval will make it last.
- Make sure you do not run your AirPods under water.
- Use a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- If your AirPod is exposed to anything that might cause stains or other damage e.g, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, perfumes, solvents, detergent, acids, acidic foods, insect repellent, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye.
- Wipe them clean with a cloth slightly dampened with fresh water and dry with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Allow them to completely dry before placing them in the charging case.
- Don’t attempt to use them until they’re completely dry.
- Make sure not to get any liquid in the openings.
- Clean the microphone and speaker meshes with a dry cotton swab.
- Do not use sharp objects or abrasive materials to clean your AirPods.
How to Clean the Ear Tips of your AirPods
- If any water has accumulated in the ear tip, tap the AirPod on a soft, dry, lint-free cloth with the ear tip opening facing downward to remove.
- Pull off the ear tips from each AirPod and rinse the ear tips with water.
- Don’t use soap or other household cleaners.
- Wipe the ear tips with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth. Make sure that the ear tips are completely dry before reattaching to each AirPod.
- Click the ear tips back on each AirPod. The ear tips are oval-shaped, so make sure that you align them before you click them back on.
How to Reset your AirPod
Is your AirPods volume still quiet? Another option might be to reset your apple AirPods, resetting your AirPods might simply help to resolve this issue.
- Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Open the lid of your charging case.
- On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the More Info button next to your AirPods. (If you don’t see your AirPods in Settings > Bluetooth, just go to the next step.)
- Tap Forget This Device and tap again to confirm.
- With the lid open, press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds, until the status light flashes amber, then white.
Update your AirPods or AirPods Pro
Why my AirPods are so quiet that result from outdated firmware. If your AirPods firmware is outdated then you might need to update it to the latest version.
So, we walk you through the steps to update your AirPods pro or AirPods to the latest version below.
- Insert the AirPods into the casing if you haven’t done that.
- Plug the Charging case into a power source even if it’s fully charged.
- Pair your AirPods to your iOS device [iPhone or iPad].
- Go to “Settings” and connect the device to the internet.
- If there is an update available for your AirPods it will be downloaded and installed automatically.
Your quiet AirPods issue should be resolved if it’s associated with the AirPods firmware.
We have quickly been able to summarize “why are my Airpods so quiet”. This is often caused by lots of different reasons ranging from the accumulation of wax, using your phone on low power conservative mode, to Bluetooth connection issues. Finally, your Airpod might have been damaged from heat, water, etc. and may need a new replacement.