Facebook wave is the new way to say hello to someone (friends and family) on Facebook instead of poking them. When you click on the two hands icon inside the Facebook Message box, Facebook will automatically send a wave to the contact. The good thing about this Facebook wave is that you can take back or delete the wave. For this, Facebook gives users 10 minutes of grace to decide whether to delete the Facebook wave or not.
You can wave at someone on Facebook Messenger and Facebook official website on www.Facebook.com or the mobile site on m.facebook.com or wave back at someone when you receive a wave from someone. Those using the Facebook touch can as well send a wave or take back a wave on the touch platform on touch.facebook.com.
However, here in this guide, we will share with you how to send a wave on Facebook messenger, the Facebook website on browsers like Chrome, and how to send and remove waves on Facebook and how to wave back on Facebook.
Table of Contents
What is Facebook Wave?
Wave on Facebook doesn’t mean the conventional meaning in Physics, which is a disturbance that travels through a medium with both magnitude and direction. On Facebook, wave means greeting or saying hello to your friends by sending a palm with five fingers to them instead of poking or send a text to start a conversation.
However, how to wave at someone on Facebook is so simple, and the wave feature is globally available to all Facebook users.
How to Wave to Old Friends on Facebook
All your new friends on Facebook get the wave button when you click on the message box, the wave button will come up. However, clicking on the two hands will send the wave to the person. But, if you have been chatting with the person, the wave will not be available. Therefore, following this guide, you will be able to send a wave to your old friends on Facebook.
- Open Facebook Messenger app.
- Click on “People” to the bottom right.
- Click on the “grey” hand in front of the contact you want to send the waving hand to.
- Tap on the “Chat head” to the bottom left.
- Click on the contact name.
- There, you will find the waving hand dangling in the inbox.
Note: For this to work, you must have a recent conversation with that person. Otherwise, this approach will not work.
To keep sending a Facebook wave to your old friends, just follow the procedures above.
How do you Wave on Facebook Messenger?
So, how do you wave on Facebook messenger or Facebook desktop (website) and get a wave back from your friends or contact?
- Launch the Facebook Messenger app.
- Click on the name of the new friend.
- Click on the “wave” hand inside the box.
The friend will receive the wave and also a button for the receiver to wave back at you. And that is exactly how to send back waves to your friends on Facebook.
How to Wave on Facebook Site
The Facebook wave button isn’t limited to the Facebook messenger app alone. You can also send, receive, and delete Facebook waving hand on the official website. And here is how to send waves on the Facebook website.
- Go to www.facebook.com or web.facebook.com.
- Sign in to your Facebook account with your username and password.
- Click on the messenger icon to the top right.
- Click on the wave button in a grey clour.
- Once the wave is sent, the grey color will be changed to yellow.
The person can wave back or initiate a conversation instead.
How to Send Facebook Wave on Touch
Facebook touch is developed for smartphone users with screen touch to be able to use Facebook on their phones without installing the Facebook app and the messenger app.
- Go to touch.facebook.com on your device (PC or Smartphone).
- Click on the “Messenger” icon.
- Find the contact you want to send the wave to.
- Click on the “grey” five fingers button.
- The wave will change from grey color to yellow to show that the wave has been sent.
You can see the approach is similar to the one we shared above. However, this is best for mobile with a slow internet connection.
How to Remove or Undo Facebook Wave
If you mistakenly send a Facebook wave to the wrong person and the person hasn’t seen it, you can quickly take back the wave.
- Open Facebook Messenger app
- Click on the contact that you mistakenly send a wave to.
- Press and hold the wave for some seconds.
- Two options will come up: remove for me. Remove for everyone.
- Now, click on “Remove for everyone.”
You can only delete Facebook wave within the first 10 minutes; otherwise, the remove for everyone’s button will no longer be available.
Why Can’t I find Facebook Wave?
The new Facebook update that brought the like of Dark Mode has probably messed up with the Facebook wave button. You will discover that both the new and the old friends no longer have the wave button just like the poke button disappeared when Facebook was about to release the wave back then.
Now, you will need to settle for emojis and emoticons on Facebook for now.