DuckDuckGo search engine now an available option you can set as a default search engine in Chrome browser. DuckDuckGo is a private search engine which is different from the Google search engine, Yahoo, Bing, and Ask among others.
DuckDuckGo became so much popular among internet users who value their online history and doesn’t want to keep single traction of it.
Over time, DuckDuckGo has become one of the best private search engines to appear anonymous online without using a VPN or an online proxy site.
This guide will teach you how to add DuckDuckGo private search engine as your default Google Chrome search engine and how to upgrade Google Chrome browser to Chrome 73 if you are stilling using Chrome 72.
How to Use DuckDuckGo Search Engine
DuckDuckGo private search is focused on maintaining individual privacy and making sure that all users search history and activities are safe without violating users agreement.
There are flaws using DuckDuckGo private search engine though, which includes, third party being able to view and see your search history and activities which are supposed to be hidden.
However, if you are new to the DDG private search engine here is how to use it.
1. Open a new browser tab and visit DDG private search and visit https://duckduckgo.com
2. Type your search term and click on search.
That is all you need. For quick access on Chrome browser, there available DuckDuckGo Chrome extension to Chrome browser you enjoy…
- DuckDuckGo blocked advertising trackers
- Kepper search history private
- Allows you to take control of your personal data
- Browser anonymously
There are other private search engines to use other than the DDG search engine. However, we’ll also consider sharing with you at the end of this guide DuckDuckGo private search engine alternatives.
Check Current Google Chrome Version
Before you can set DuckDuckGo as a default search engine on a Chrome browser, you must be running the latest Chrome 73.
1. Launch Google Chrome browser by clicking on the browser’s icon
2. Hover your mouse pointer to the more option and click on help and then hover to about Google Chrome.
3. Chrome 73 is the latest Chrome version. If you are running Chrome 72 you won’t be able to set DuckDuckGo as a default search.
Upgrade to Current Google Chrome Version
If you are running Chrome 72 you should upgrade to Chrome 73 to be able to choose DuckDuckGo as your preferred default search engine.
1. Hover your mouse pointer to “Customize and control Google Chrome” by click on the three dots to the upper right.
2. Tap on “help” and then hover to “about Google Chrome” and click on it
3. Make sure you are connected to the internet and Chrome browser will start updating.
4. Once the update is done click on “relaunch” to restart the “Chrome browser“
Now, we’ll proceed to how to set DuckDuckGo private search engine as a default search on your Chrome browser for PC.
Set DuckDuck as a Default Search Engine
Here is a step by step procedures to set DuckDuck Go private search engine as a default search engine on a Chrome browser.
1. Launch the Google Chrome browser and click on the more option to the upper right.
2. Scroll down and click on settings
3. Scroll down to “search engine” option. Click on the “drop-menu” and select “DuckDuckGo”
5. Click on “Manage Search” to verify your default search engine. It should be “DuckDuckGo”
Congratulations you have successfully DuckDuckGo as your default search engine on your Chrome browser. Note that this doesn’t affect other browsers like Opera, UC Browser, Mozilla Firefox etc.
DuckDuckGo Private Search on Mobile
As at the time of writing this “how to guide” to set DuckDuckGo as a default search engine on Chrome browser, Google hasn’t release Chrome 73 version for Android and iOS version.
The DuckDuckGo private search engine is available in Chrome 73 as part of the search engines available alongside Ask, Bing, and Yahoo.
Should Google decided to release Chrome 73 for mobile here is how to upgrade to the latest version.
Launch the Google play store app. Make sure the Google play service is up to date for smooth performance. Type “Chrome“ into the search box and click on search. Tap on an update to download and update to the latest Google Chrome 73 for smartphones.