It is effortless to double space in Microsoft word, and we will show you how to do this. Note that the steps used to double-space your text in Microsoft word will vary depending on the version you have. In this article, we will discuss the way to double space sections or all aspects of your text in Microsoft word.
Double Space Entire Text in Word
- To begin with, go to the Design Ribbon section in Microsoft word.
- Then select Paragraph Spacing, and click Double.
- For the Microsoft word 2007 and 2010 versions, the process of doing this might differ slightly. All you need to do is navigate to the Home tab and select the Styles group. Right-click on the normal and select Modify. This will open a Formatting window where you can select Double Space and select OK.
- With this process, you will be able to double space your entire document. You will also notice a number of other spacing options that you can use. In case the double-spacing has more white space than you need, you can adjust your spacing to 1.15 or 1.5 lines, you can even create a custom spacing that will meet your specific needs.
- Editing the spacing of your document at this level will help to preserve your text format types all through the document. This is very important when you are working on large documents.
Double Space a Selection in a Word Document
If you want to change the spacing for just a section of your document, you can do so by following this process.
Start by highlighting the text you will like to double space. Then you can access the paragraph menu by right-clicking and in the menu that appears select paragraph. Alternatively, you can go to the Home Ribbon and click on the line spacing icon. From the options, select 2.0 for double spacing.
If you like to double space part of your text in Microsoft Word office 2007 or 2010 versions, you will also need to follow a similar process. Select the part of the text you will like to double space, navigate to your Home tab and click on the Line and Paragraph spacing section which you will find within the Paragraph group. In word 2007, this is called Line Spacing. Select Double and then click on the OK button.
How to Modify the Line Spacing of an Existing Document
Follow the instruction below if you are using Microsoft Word 2007, 2010, 2013, or 2016 version.
- Open the document you want to modify on Microsoft Word.
- Highlight the part of the text you want to double space or select every part of the text.
- Then right-click on the highlighted part of your text and select Format, then, select paragraph. Depending on the version of your Microsoft word, you might not see Format, just select paragraph.
- Once in the Paragraph window, ensure you are on the Indents and Spacing tab.
- Click on the down arrow in the Line spacing drop-down box.
- Then select Double and click on the OK button.
How to Double Space between Paragraphs
To change the spacing between your paragraphs, just follow the steps explained below. Note that if you will like to apply this setting to just one paragraph, you will need to highlight the paragraph first.
For Microsoft Word 2007, 2010 Versions:
After highlighting your text, navigate to the Page Layout tab and in the Paragraph section, look for Spacing options. You will need to fill in two fields before you get to the point where you can change your default spacing before a paragraph and after it.
For Word 2016, 2013 Versions:
Highlight your text and go to the Design Tab and Paragraph Spacing section. Click on the Custom Paragraph Spacing, and you will see a window pop up. In the Paragraph Spacing section, you will need to fill the fields labelled “before” and “after”.
For Microsoft Word 2007, 2010 Versions:
If you would like to double space between lines on your text, just select the part of the text you will like to double space and go to your Paragraph tab. Then click on Line Spacing to put double space between your lines. If you will like to put double space on your entire document, follow the guidelines explained above.
For Microsoft Word 2016, 2013 Versions:
Highlight the part of the text you will like to double space and navigate to the Line and Paragraph Spacing tab. In the Paragraph Spacing tab, you will see a list of different spacing options, just select 2.0.
You should also read on how to set a password expiration date in Windows 10 here.
Now, you can easily double space segments or all aspect of your text on any version of Microsoft Word. If you have any challenges following our guide above, let us know in the comments section below.