Xampp is a package that installs Apache, PHP and MySQL on a local computer to create a website developing environment on Windows, Mac, and Linux OS.
When you download and install Xampp as a website designer or a developer, it helps to do all your website creation on a local server, views it, sends it to your client whether they like it, do the editing if there is any complain before uploading it to a live server.
With Xampp you have less or little to do designing a website on your local machine without running it on a live server to create an unnecessary level up when the website is live.
However, this tutorial we guide you on how to install Xampp on Windows computer, Linux computer, and MacOS computer.
Note: These instructions must be followed strictly if you want to successfully run the Xampp development environment on your local computer.
How to Install Xampp
Here we’ll take a look at the simplest approach to install Xampp local machine on your Windows running 64-bits and 32-bit. Both Linux and MacOS users will also get the easiest approach to download the latest Xampp and install it on their OS.
Xampp for Windows
Installing Xampp for Windows 10 as the latest Windows version is probably the easiest approach. This doesn’t mean it’s hard on Windows 8 or Windows 7 or even older version of Windows OS such as Windows XP, Windows Vista.
However, here in this guide, we are going to leverage our guideline on using Windows 10.
1. Download the latest Xampp Windows installer from Apachefriends.org and save the file installer to your local drive. The latest version for Windows is 7.1.27, 7.2.16 & 7.3.3.
2. Open your computer download folder and double-click on the file-installer.exe. The file installer will prompt you to select your language. Just click on the drop menu and select your program default language and click OK.
3. If you are doing this on Windows 7, a popup window containing a warning about your “User Account Control” being active, just click continue to acknowledge this.
4. The setup wizard containing your local server environment version with a popup. To continue with the installation click on Next.
5. At this point, you will be asked which component to install on your computer by the local server. However, to avoid the program malfunctioning, check all option and click Next.
6. Choose the location you want to install the program. If you haven’t partitioned your drive for direct purpose, I suggest you choose: C/ as your location for easy access when you want to use Xampp and click on install.
7. At this point, the local server development environment tool will be deploying all necessary files into the installer folder on the local drive.
8. Once all the files are extracted and installation completed, then, click on finish to complete the installation wizard. Next, you will be asked whether you want to manage the Xampp control panel, click yes to proceed and no to decline.
That is all for Windows OS. The approach shared above is general for Windows 10, Windows 7, and Windows XP with 64-bits or 32-bits.
Install Xampp for MacOS
I’ll provide you a detailed approach to run Xampp successfully on MacOS in this section. Just chill and follow the procedure to the end to see the program running successfully on your MacOS.
1. Download and install the Xampp latest installer from Apachefriends.org as shared above. Make sure you download the latest version so you won’t have an issue understanding these procedures. The current version for MacOS as the time of writing this article is 7.1.27, 7.2.16, 7.3.3, 7.1.27, 7.2.16 & 7.3.3.
2. Open the download file in .img and drag the Xampp file folder into your MacOS application folder.
We are done with this section for now. Just pend it. Or better still if you know how to proceed here you can proceed. However, we intend to revisit this when we get to how to use Xampp.
Xampp for Linux
You are probably not one of the Linux OS fans. However, I have got to know some folks that use Linux in place of Windows OS. Therefore, let take a look at the Linux workaround.
1. As usual, you have to go to Apachefriends.org to download Xample for Linux installer just the way you did for Windows and Mac.
2. Open your Linux terminal program directory and search for the executable file in your folder. For Linux, downloaded files are by default stored in cd ~/Downloads.
3. Now, change the file mode to an executable file on your Linux “chmod +x xampp-linux-x64-7.2.5-0-installer.run”
4. Use Sedo to run the executable file and install the local server on your Linux OS “sudo ./xampp-linux-x64-7.2.5-0-installer.run”